ABOUT RAM JETHMALANI:
Ram Jethmalani, who was born September 23, 1923, earned a degree in law when he was 17 and started practicing law in Karachi until the partition of India. He served as India’s Union Law Minister, as executive of the Indian Bar Council, and as the president of the Supreme Court Bar Association. He is noted in the Indian legal fraternity for his strong point in criminal law and prominent civil cases. Ram Jethmalani began his vocation as a legal counselor and Professor in Sindh before partition. He started his own law firm in Karachi with his companion A.K. Brohi, who was senior to him by seven years.
Ram Jethmalani’s career was marked by high-profile cases and confrontations with some of the most powerful people in the country.
He was clever, courageous and never avoided strikingly conveying everything that needs to be conveyed regarding any matter. Perhaps the best part of Shri Ram Jethmalani Ji was the capacity to express his genuine thoughts. What’s more, he did as such with no dread. During the dull days of the Emergency, his determination and battle for open freedoms will always be remembered. Helping the needy was an integral part of his persona.”
Indeed, even in the instances of deterministic legal principles, Jethmalani kept everybody speculating with his unpredictability. It was his quality as a legal counselor that his clients and the opposite party would never confide in him just with customary plan of action accessible in law. Among his questionable cases was one where he contended to differentiate between Hindutva and Hinduism, while contending for Bal Thackeray in a hate speech case.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF RAM JETHMALANI:
- Smash Jethmalani came under the spotlight with his appearance on account of KM Nanavati, an Indian Navy Commander who was prosecuted for the murder case, in 1959.
- He was a six-time Rajya Sabha part, filled in as Union law minister and the chairperson of the Bar Council of India.
- Known as one of the most generously paid legal counselors, Jethmalani was associated defending several top politicians in high-profile cases of corruption and scams, which included:
- LK Advani in hawala case
- RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav in grain case
- Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalitha in disproportionate assets case
- DMK administrator Kanimozhi in 2G scam case
- BS Yeddiurappa in mining scam case
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind kejriwal minister among others.
- He additionally safeguarded Harshad Mehta and Ketan Parekh in stock market scams case, Manu Sharma in the Jessica Lal murder case, Afzal Guru in Parliament attack case, Subrato Roy in Sahara-SEBI case, Baba Ramdev in 2011 Ramlila ground episode case.
- He was chosen as a Member of Parliament in the sixth and seventh Lok Sabha on a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ticket from Mumbai.
- He likewise filled in as the minister of urban development under PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He had challenged against Vajpayee in the Lok Sabha decisions in 2004 from Lucknow body electorate.
- He was removed from the BJP in 2013 for a long time on charges of “breach of discipline”. Prior to that, he was suspended from the party in November 2012 based on for making anti-party statement.
- Jethmalani was granted with the Human Rights Award by World Peace through Law in 1977.
- Safeguarded Indira Gandhi’s alleged assassins, and tested the therapeutic proof (PMR) given by T D Dogra on Indira Gandhi, he later won the acquittal of Balbir Singh.
- G. Perarivalan, T Suthanthiraraj nom de plume Santhan, and Sriharan pseudonym Murugan, all sentenced in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
- Case including Haji Mastan.
- He reported his retirement from the legal profession in 2017.
- He was also the professor emeritus of Symbiosis Law School in Pune and filled in as the administrator of the weekly newspaper ‘The Sunday Guardian’.
- He wrote numerous books, including ‘Justice Soviet Style’, ‘Big Egos Small Men’, ‘Conscience of a Maverick’, ‘maverick: Unchanged, Unrepentant’.
DEATH OF RAM JETHMALANI:
Jethmalani passed away on 8 September 2019 in New Delhi at his home. According to his son Mahesh Jethmalani, he was not keeping well for the last few months; Ram Jethmalani breathed his last at 7:45 AM (IST), just six days short of his 96th birthday.
He was the main and most famous number one criminal attorney of the nation. Many adjective says hot temper, clever, entertaining, Amazing, intriguing, ever youthful and so on about the character and personality of this Sindhi legal advisor and most questionable Indian Politicians.
His wisdom and comprehension of law and constitution is such high that when in 1980’s constitution of Bhartiya Janta Party was written he was engaged with it with Sunder Singh Bhandari and Sikandar Bakhat. In the field of governmental issues he had crossed numerous achievements including the office of law ministry at centre. [Union Minister of Law, Justice and Company Affairs 1996]. Some of popular episode from his term in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee government at center in the ministerial capacity are still corner talk in the meetings of BJP leaders.